Joining us for his second summer, Dustin ‘Spirit’ Martin could not be happier about being back at Strong Rock! He loves our campers and desires to make a positive impact on each of them. I would have to say we are pretty pumped to have him back as well.
One of the things we all love about Spirit is his incredible knack for storytelling. He is full of all sorts of crazy stories and can literally silence a room of folks intent on hearing what comes out of his mouth next. He keeps us all smiling with his sense of humor displayed through this gift.
Spirit teaches Fishing and Golf for us as well as spends some time as a lifeguard. He is super enthusiastic during our tribal games and has been known to lose his voice from giving it everything he has during tribal cheers. Spirit has a way to make everything fun, whether participating in campwide activities, enjoying his skill classes or even cleaning the cabin.
Welcome back Spirit! We look forward to another summer together.
Random facts about Spirit:
- Education: Toccoa Falls College, majoring in Outdoor Leadership Education
- Favorite Camp Food: Pineapple Cobbler
- Favorite Camp Memory: Helping lead some of my campers to Christ.
- Strangest Habit: Popping other peoples toes
- Love Most About My Job At Camp: Being able to have fun and be crazy all the time.
- Famous Person I’d Like To Meet: Celine Dion
- Something No One Knows About Me: I have a fantastic singing voice.
- Five Things I Love: Food, Games, Laughing, Telling stories, Being around people I love.
Our next staff hiring introduction is another returning staff member. Lydia ‘Range’ Parham got to experience Strong Rock as a camper and then spent her first year on staff with us last summer. She is an amazing counselor and her campers love her laid back spirit.
Range comes from a huge family of 8 children! She loves her family and is close to all of her siblings. Whenever possible she enjoys spending time in the great outdoors , especially when it includes playing sports.
At camp, Range can most likely by found on one various ranges around camp, hence her nickname. She is a certified Riflery and Archery instructor and loves to help campers develop and improve their skills in these activities. She also often helps teach Team Sports and lead the Climbing Wall. When not instructing classes she can be found dominating the four-square court, tossing cornhole bags and hanging out with her campers. We are thrilled to have her back!!
Random facts about Range:
- Favorite Snack: Peanut Butter M&Ms and Blue Gatorade
- Hero/Role Model: ”My Dad. I have always looked up to him ever since I was a little girl. So many memories flood my mind of times when he was there for me when he had a number of other things he could have done. He takes time to ask how my day was and he genuinely cares. He is the most humble person I know. He is a leader, yet he is always serving. He is everything I wish I could be.”
- Favorite Camp Memory: Playing Multimate in the rain!
- Favorite Quote: ”God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing.” -C.S. Lewis
- Love Most About My Job At Camp: The relationships that are built with both the campers as well as the other counselors.
- Favorite Free Time Activity: Going for a short run.
- Something No One Knows About You: I have been skydiving!
- Most Embarrassing Moment: ”Once I was walking down a sidewalk in downtown Atlanta when I saw a group of people running across the street and nearly get hit by a car. Apparently the DOT had just put a pole in the sidewalk and I ended up running straight into it. I walked away with a headache and a ruined pair of gloves.”
Our next staffer intro is another one that we are SUPER excited about. We are thrilled to welcome back Laura ‘Champ’ Sangster returning in the role of camp photographer this summer. The job is unique and takes a while for someone to get the hang of, so having Champ return for round two is a definite blessing.
Champ will spend hours and hours a day taking wonderful photos of all of our campers and then spend a few more hours each night sorting through the pictures and uploading hundreds to our website. She’ll also write a daily blog updating parents on all of the fun activities we do each day. Basically, her job is to provide our parents with a glimpse into daily camp life. She did a great job of that last year and many parents expressed their thanks for her service.
Champ is a camper favorite as well. She loves to hang out and play with them when she has a chance to put the camera down and is a very proud member of the Awahili tribe. Champ has a great attitude and a willing spirit making her a fabulous addition to our team.
Random facts about Champ:
- Education: UGA (go DAWGS), majoring in Accounting and Sports Management
- Favorite Camp Activity: Tribal games, Sock War
- Favorite Camp Memory: The Cooking Song!!
- Favorite Verse: Proverbs 3:5-6
- Proudest Moment: Winning a State Championship in Softball during Senior Year
- Better Than All Of My Friends At: Just Dance
- Famous Person I’d Like To Meet: Chipper Jones
- Love Most About My Job At Camp: Capturing moments on camera that will help campers and staff remember all of their favorite times at camp
Moving up from the slot of Junior Counselor last summer to Counselor this summer is Rebekah ‘Encore’ Brannon. We first met her in the summer of 2009 when she arrived as a camper. Some of her older siblings had worked for us previously so we knew she came from a quality family background. From that first summer, we could tell that this girl would very likely be on staff one day. She had a contagious joy about her, a remarkably positive attitude and just sort of stood out as a special young lady.
Bringing Encore on staff last summer and getting to work with her in that role further solidified our solid impressions of her. She pretty much had a smile on her face all of the time, serving tirelessly and whole-heartedly in every task we placed before her. As a Junior Counselor, she learned about all aspects of camp and had the opportunity to experience what serving for a summer at Strong Rock looks like. She had a great time and decided to come back for more.
Encore is super excited about working more closely with our campers this year as a cabin counselor. She is looking forward to sharing her faith with her girls through word and deed. She has a beautiful servant’s heart and will provide a very solid example for all those placed in her care. Welcome back Encore!!
Random facts about Encore:
- Favorite Camp Activity: Multimate Frisbee
- Favorite Camp Song: Slamma Jamma
- Favorite Verse: Romans 8:37-39
- Favorite Quote: “Your walk talks and your talk talks, but your walk talks more than your talk talks.”
- Most Looking Forward To This Summer: Building new relationships and having the opportunity to be crazy (and not get strange looks for it)
- Most Love About Camp: Camp is a comfort zone for people to completely be themselves without being worried about being judged for it. Creating that environment is what we are all about.
- Famous Person You Want To Meet: I would love to sit down and talk with Bill Cosby.
- Favorite Free Time Activity: I love to go to a coffee shop and talk with someone. I love to get to know people better this way.
Back for his second summer and excited about another opportunity to minister to our campers is the one and only Brandon ‘FIFA’ Baena. Brandon transferred to Boyce College in Kentucky this year where he is studying Youth Ministry.
In case the nickname ‘FIFA’ didn’t give it away, Brandon loves soccer. He taught that class for us last year as well as Riflery and Archery. FIFA also worked with our youngest boys down in High Noon. He showed a tremendous amount of patience and compassion for these guys as many of them were first time campers. FIFA hopes to build on his experience from last summer and use all that he learned to be even more effective this summer.
One big highlight of FIFA’s first summer with us was his role in helping create what went down as one of the greatest tribal songs of all time, “Wave Your Flag.” We’ve heard a lot of memorable tribal songs over the last eight summers, but this one was definitely one of the best. Let’s see if we can’t top it in 2013!!
Random facts about FIFA:
- Favorite Camp Activity: Saturday Fun Days, especially the beach luau
- Favorite Camp Song: Tribal – Red Hot; Worship – Grin Again Gang; Assembly – He Makes It OK
- Favorite Verse: Genesis 41:16
- Favorite Quote: “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who’ll decide where to go.” – Dr. Seuss
- Greatest Fear: SPIDERS!!
- 5 Things You Love: God, Soccer, Camp, Food, Bug-be-Gone
- Childhood Hero: Peter Pan… Who doesn’t want to know how to fly and never grow up?
- Nonsense and Randomness: “I once sneezed with my eyes open!”
Campout is a great time for campers to chill out, enjoy the outdoors, and get to know one another better. What better way to hang out and relax than in your very own backpacking style hammock! For the past 2 or 3 summers, you have seen many of our staff bring their hammocks along on campout night. With Open House just around, the corner one of our current campers could enjoy this same relaxing experience by participating in our Open House Hammock Give-a-way Contest!
Entering the contest is simple. Just bring as many of your camp-age buddies to Open House as you can and receive an entry in the drawing for every friend you bring. Those friends must be new-to-camp, you know, the ones you are trying to talk in to an awesome camp experience with you. Bring 1 friend, get 1 entry; bring 5 friends, get 5 entries – simple as that. Additionally, just for your efforts, every friend you bring is also worth 200 Tribal Points to be awarded to your tribe during your camp session. We’ll have a little contest on the side to see who brings the most friends, Awahili or Waya. The Grand Prize winner will receive the hammock as well as a bonus 2000 Tribal Points during their camp session. Drawing will be held and winner announced on Monday, March 11.
Don’t miss this great opportunity to give your friends a taste of what camp is all about! You may even win big for your effort!
For the last two summers our youngest girls in camp have been blessed with an incredible co-counselor duo perfectly suited to offer the nurturing environment that a young first-time camper needs. We are excited to re-introduce one half of that team as Rachel ‘Willow’ Sauls has answered the call to return to Strong Rock this summer. Willow is back for summer number 3 ready to meet tons of new campers as well as build on the relationships she has established with returning campers.
Willow has shown a tremendous amount of patience and compassion as a counselor and helped to create a safe, happy and welcoming environment in the cabin. She loves watching her girls accept and succeed in the new challenges they encounter at camp and encourages them all along the way. Willow has taught Dance, Cooking, Crafts, Swimming and Canoeing over the past 2 years. She loves planning the dance routines as well as creating awesome menus for the cooking class. She strives for excellence in all that she does, helping us create a great program and environment for our campers.
Random facts about Willow:
- Education: Mercer University, Early Childhood / Special Education Major
- Favorite Camp Song: Little Cabin in the Woods
- Favorite Verse: Psalm 139:23-24
- Favorite Food: CHOCOLATE!!
- Favorite Quote: “Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” – Dumbledore (Harry Potter)
- Strangest Habit: “I like to clean when I’m bored.”
- Famous Person I’d Like To Meet: William and Kate
- Life Goal / Ambition: To teach children who have special needs
The 2013 Open House will be on March 10th from 1:30 – 5:30. This is the perfect opportunity for your friends to spend a day at camp with you! Guests will tour camp, meet the staff, owners and directors all while having a blast playing at Strong Rock. Several camp activities will be open including archery, riflery, climbing, horseback riding, canoeing and more. Open House will provide you with a great chance to get back in the camp spirit, and will get your friends excited about attending camp with you.
Those new to camp will be able to enter our special Open House Tuition Giveaway. The winner will receive a free session at camp compliments of Strong Rock!
For our current campers, we are running a pretty cool contest revolving around Open House as well. For each camp-age friend you bring, we will give you 200 tribal points awarded during your camp session! Additionally, for every camper you bring with you, you will be entered into our Grand Prize Drawing for a brand new camp hammock (a $60+ dollar value), much like the one pictured here. Bring 5 friends, get 5 entries, easy as that. The winner will also win an extra 2000 points for their tribe this summer. Tons of our staff have this hammock and LOVE it for campout!!
See you soon!
Posted in Contests, Ramblings from The Rock
Tagged camp friends, Climbing Wall, contest, friends, Open House, staff, Strong Rock, Strong Rock Camp, summer camp, Summer Camp Georgia Camps, summer fun
The purple backpack is back! Returning for her second summer, all the way from the University of Georgia, please welcome back Hayden ‘Dora’ Wilson. In her first tenure with us, we were blown away with Dora’s enthusiasm and joy. No matter what challenge was placed before her last summer, she handled it beautifully with a great attitude and servant’s heart.
Dora’s campers loved her and she worked so hard to connect with them, nurture them and share the love of Christ with them through her actions. We feel extremely blessed to get the opportunity to place Dora back into the cabins this year where we know she will share her joy and enthusiasm with all the girls in her care. Strong Rock has become one of her favorite places in the world, so Dora is “all in” when she drives through the gate. She gives us her best and pours everything she has into her girls. We can’t wait to have her back!
Random facts about Dora:
- Favorite Camp Activity: Multimate & Khaos
- Favorite Camp Song: Princess Pat & Baby Shark
- Favorite Verse: Hebrews 12:1
- Favorite Food: “Hibachi, that fried rice and yum yum sauce are my weakness”
- Favorite Quote: “We all die. The goal isn’t to live forever, the goal is to create something that will.”
- Favorite Movie: Transformers (“Only movie I’ve ever cried in.”)
- Most Embarrassing Moment: Going over to a friend’s house that I had visited several times before, but visiting in the dark for the first time… Parked my car, went up to the house and looked in the window to see an old man of no relation staring back at me. Oops, wrong house. Super awkward!!
- What Keeps You Up At Night: “My 4 hour naps I tend to take in the afternoon.”
- I’m Better Than All My Friends At: “Always keeping a smile on my face. It takes more muscles to frown… and that’s probably why I don’t have any muscles.”
Our first “new hire” of the 2013 season comes to us from nearby Truett McConnell College right here in Cleveland, GA. He is currently studying Psychology and is a member of Truett’s Men’s Soccer Team. Please join us in welcoming Corwin Kulig to our staff family.
Corwin’s previous experiences include participating in several mission trips, coaching a children’s soccer team, leading a praise band in high school, helping out with VBS at his home church and serving in many leadership capacities during his high school career. He loves the Lord and enjoys serving Him any chance he gets.
We look forward to getting to know Corwin even better and are very excited to add him to our team. His servant’s heart is evident from our interactions thus far and we can’t wait to see him work with our campers. Equally he is filled with tons of energy and enthusiasm… two super essential qualities of a successful camp counselor.
Random Facts about Corwin:
- Favorite Food: Cheeseburgers and peanut butter crackers
- Favorite Bible Verse: Ephesians 2:10
- Favorite Color: Red (Let’s hope his heart isn’t broken during tribal selection)
- Greatest Fear: Heights / Losing a loved one
- Strangest Habit: Biting my nails
- Most Looking Forward To This Summer: Showing kids the love of Jesus
- Favorite Free Time Activity: Chillin’ in my hammock
- Famous Person You Would Like To Meet: David from the Bible