Returning for her 4th summer is another camper favorite, Angela ‘Bubbles’ Sackett! Her camp nickname comes straight from her bubbly personality and her previous campers can attest to the energy and excitement she brings to the table. Bubbles loves kids and has been working in a elementary school as a full time substitute teacher this year. She recently found out that she will have a full time teaching position beginning this fall. Being a teacher allows her the freedom to return to camp this summer (for part of the summer anyway) and we could not be more excited!
Bubbles loves all things artsy. She can be found tapping her toes in dance class, encouraging campers to put their creative skills on display in crafts or helping prepare the perfect meal in our cooking skill. She also has quite a knack for teaching Archery to campers. She has an infectious laugh that is instantly recognizable and puts a smile on the faces of those around her. We are beyond blessed to have Bubbles back at camp for the summer!
Random facts about Angela:
- Education: Graduate of The University of Georgia with a degree in Early Childhood Education
- Favorite Camp Song: Brother/Sister Friend
- Favorite Camp Memory: Rockcreek dance parties and bedtime stories.
- Favorite Bible Verse: ”May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him so that your hope may overflow by the power of the Holy Spirit.” Romans 15:13
- Strangest Habit: ”When I eat Samoas and Tagalongs, I eat the whole outside of the cookie first and then eat the crunchy cookie part in the middle. Most people wouldn’t know that the Samoa cookie is shaped like a flower.”
- Most Embarrassing Moment: ”Falling down during my first dance performance when I was a toddler, all I remember was having a big pink tutu that didn’t cushion my fall; most embarrassing moment at camp would have to be running after a kid during Willy Wonka’s Gobstopper Grab only to fall down on all fours on rocks and quickly go from laughing, because I’d fallen chasing after a camper, to crying, because I realized my knee was really bleeding. I laugh when I look at my scar now!”
- Most Looking Forward To This Summer: Everything!
- Better Than All My Friends At: ”Staying up super late and still being alive, awake, alert and enthusiastic the next morning.”
After taking a summer off for graduate school Josh ‘Pivot’ Morrison will be joining us for one more summer before entering the next phase of his life. In a few short months, Pivot will exchange vows with the love of his life as well as start his career with one of the largest accounting firms in the nation. Until then though, Josh has one last summer off and chose to spend it here with us at Strong Rock. For that, we are extremely grateful!
Pivot will be returning to camp as our Men’s Head Counselor. He filled this role two years ago and did a great job of mentoring our guys on staff as well as providing overall leadership to the campers. Pivot has a true servants heart and thrives on doing many behind the scenes / thankless jobs. He goes above and beyond what is ask and sets an incredible example for those under his leadership.
Welcome back Pivot!!
Random facts about Josh:
- Favorite Camp Activity: Bedlam Ball
- Favorite Camp Song: ”W” is because we’ve got skill.
- Favorite Camp Memory: Having two of my campers guide me up the climbing wall while climbing blindfolded.
- Strangest Habit: Sleeping with my legs propped up in the air
- Five Things I Love: 1. God 2. Family and Fiancee 3. Friends 4. The Packers and Aaron Rodgers 5. Clint Dempsey and the USMNT
- Most Looking Forward To: ”Having another chance to work with the awesome staff and campers.”
- Greatest Fear: Disappointing those I respect most.
- Something No One Knows: I never reveal my secret identity.
Mary Beth ‘Trip’ Brannon comes from a long line of Strong Rock Staff. Her brother ‘Scoot’ was the first of her family to work for us way back in 2006. Trip was first hired in 2008. Last year her younger sister ‘Encore’ joined us as well. This will be Trip’s fourth summer on Staff and her third summer as one of our Program Directors. This year we actually brought Trip in back in February as an intern to begin developing some year round programming options for Strong Rock. While much of her time has been focused on off-season programs, she has also been working hard at improving several skill areas and evening activities for the upcoming summer.
Trip spent a few summers away from camp as she answered the call to share the love of Jesus with those who have never heard His name in North Africa. Now that she is back in the states, Trip is focused on using her degree in Recreation to impact lives through experiential education. As the summer approaches she is most excited about seeing how God uses the staff to pour Christ into the lives of their campers.
We are thrilled to have her back because of the solid impact she has had on our summer program. From developing new games to supervising skill instructors to creating more efficient ways to do the same old thing, Trip is always focused on continuous improvement. She has embraced our desire for solid Christian programming and does a great job moving us forward in that direction.
Random facts about Mary Beth:
- Education: Graduate of UGA with a degree in Recreation and Leisure Studies
- Favorite Camp Activity: Smugglers and Spies
- Favorite Camp Meal: Biscuits and gravy, with eggs and sausage.
- Favorite Camp Song: Wishy Washy Washer Woman
- Hero / Role Model: My parents: they have always been a good example of what a Christ-like marriage should look like and have always been there to offer Godly advice when needed.
- Most Embarrassing Moment: One time at the gym this woman complimented me on how graceful I looked working out. As I passed by her and responded, I proceeded to knock over a workout machine. While trying to prevent it from crashing to the floor I spilled water on this woman. Proved her wrong :).
- Life Goal / Ambition: To live an abundant life that points people to Jesus.
- Nonsense And Randomness: I love to SCUBA dive!
Another former camper joining us for his first summer on staff is Austin Martin. This will be his 7th summer at camp and he will be one of the elite members of our first crew of male Junior Counselors. Our male JC’s will help us keep camp looking pristine as they participate in various beautification projects as well as play an integral role in teaching camper skill classes.
Austin is very active in his school as a leader in both the classroom and his high school Marching Band. At camp, he has always been known as one of our best marksman, constantly putting up some impressive numbers in our shooting sports classes. Austin is a country boy at heart and would love to spend his free time going mudding in a pick-up while listening to country music. Though Austin will not be with us the entire summer, we are looking forward to having him with us for several weeks.
Welcome back Austin!
Random facts about Austin:
- Favorite Snack: Cookies and Cream Pop Tarts
- Hero / Role Model: ” Steve Irwin because he cared so much about nature and the safety of all the animals he came across it really inspired me and taught me that you must treat nature with respect.”
- Favorite Color: Blue and purple together making blurple.
- Most Embarrassing Moment: In 5th grade I was the student of the month and my parents came in and the kids in my class got to ask them questions and one of the answers was when I was a kid I used to sing “I feel like a woman” by Shania Twain.
- Most Looking Forward To This Summer: Camp made a huge impact in my life, so I look forward to giving back to the camp and campers this summer.
- Favorite Food: Pizza
- Favorite Sport: Ultimate Frisbee
- Proudest Moment: Properly avoiding an accident in my accident avoidance class I was in that they set up. I did it perfectly on the first time when no one else could.
Bailey ‘Scrappy’ Lowery is a long time member of the Strong Rock Camp family. Scrappy joined us for her first year in 2006 as a camper and hasn’t missed a summer since. This will be her second year on staff. As a Junior Counselor last summer, Scrappy helped out in the kitchen and assisted in several of our skill classes. She is looking forward to being a counselor this summer and can’t wait to be back at her ‘second home!’
Scrappy loves Strong Rock and can’t imagine a summer without it. She can often be found helping campers build rockets in Model Rocketry or finding some way to make campers smile. She plays hard, has a great time doing it and inspires other campers and staff to give it their all in all that they do.
Random facts about Bailey:
- Favorite Camp Activity: Sock War
- Favorite Bible Verse: Jeremiah 29:11
- Favorite T.V. Show: Survivor
- Life Goal / Ambition: To become a pharmacist
- Strangest Habit: Breaking out in random dance moves
- Favorite Quote: “I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they’re right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.” – Marilyn Monroe
- Something No One Knows About Me: I’m scared of all the noise my house makes at night!
- Nonsense And Randomness: I can solve a Rubik’s Cube in under a minute.
After spending the last five summers as a camper at Strong Rock, Tyler Dees will be making history as he joins our staff as one of our first Male Junior Counselors. Tyler will assist in several skill classes as well as help our Facilities Manager, Rick (aka ‘Eastwood’), keep camp looking beautiful all summer long.
Tyler is one of four children who have all spent at least one summer with us. In his free time Tyler enjoys skateboarding and is very involved in Boy Scouts. He recently completed his Eagle Scout project where he designed and built an outdoor classroom at his high school. It looks great!
We are excited to have Tyler join our staff and look forward to all that God is going to do through him this summer.
Random facts about Tyler:
- Favorite Snack: Trail Mix
- Favorite Activity: Triathalons
- Favorite T.V. Show: How It’s Made
- Most Embarrassing Moment: Almost walking out the door in my sisters pants!
- Famous Person I’d Like To Meet: Ryan Sheckler
- Greatest Fear: Being Alone
- Something No One Knows About Me: When I run I hum a rhythm and run to it.
- Nonsense And Randomness: I can turn my tongue into a ball.
Joining us for her 2nd summer is the one and only Mallory ‘Ace’ Dollar! Ace loved her first summer at Strong Rock and is excited to be returning again. She is looking forward to continuing to nurture the relationships she began last summer with our returning campers as well as meeting all of our new campers this year.
One of our favorite qualities about Ace is her passion for sharing the love of Christ with those around her through her actions. She has the sweetest servant’s heart and genuinely strives to do her very best at every task she takes on. Whether in the cabin or instructing a skill class, we know that if Ace is there, everything is going to go great.
Who knows where you will find Ace this summer as she is one of our most versatile young ladies when it comes to teaching skill classes. Last year she taught Climbing, Fitness, Swimming, Canoeing, Horseback, Fishing and more. This year she hopes to add Archery to that list as well. No matter where she lands, we know you will love her.
Welcome back Ace!!
Random facts about Mallory:
- Favorite Camp Activity: Multimate Frisbee
- Favorite Camp Meal: Chicken Fingers and Honey Mustard!
- Favorite Camp Song: Princess Pat and Baby Shark
- Favorite Camp Memory: Watching campers eagerly show their parents what they learned all session long at the closing ceremony.
- Favorite Quote: If you cannot follow, you can never lead.
- Strangest Habit: When eating I finish one thing at a time on my plate.
- Life Goal / Ambition: To leave a legacy worth following.
- Favorite Free-Time Activity: Clean my room…is that weird!?
After taking a summer off to prepare for college, Sarah ‘Scarlet’ Adams will be returning to Strong Rock as one of our Counselors. Scarlet spent her first summer on staff as a Junior Counselor assisting in the kitchen in 2011. Before joining our staff, she was a camper for 5 years.
Scarlet has the attitude of a servant and is often found helping around camp in any way that she can. She loves camp and can’t wait to return this summer to develop lasting relationships with her campers and fellow staff.
This summer Scarlet will likely spend a lot of time teaching Archery, Riflery and Climbing. She can’t wait to get back to camp and we are thrilled to have her return.
Random facts about Sarah:
- Education: Shorter University, majoring in Education
- Favorite Camp Activity: Sock War!
- Favorite Camp Song: Baby Shark
- Favorite Snack: Goldfish, preferably with extra cheddar please.
- Strangest Habit: I spontaneously burst into song.
- Most Embarrassing Moment: I was in the marching band this year and was playing my clarinet . I was so into the music that I was not marching with the rest of the band. I was all by myself in the backfield when the music ended. Very embarrassing.
- Something No One Knows About Me: I have a secret addiction to Twizzlers and the Backstreet Boys.
- Greatest Fear: Snakes
Rebekah ‘Broadway’ Pitts will be returning for summer #3 and we could not be more excited! Broadway brings a ton of energy and enthusiasm to Strong Rock and the campers love her. She is passionate about her faith and does a fantastic job of showing the love of Christ daily through her actions at camp. God has gifted her with the ability to connect with and inspire our campers so we look forward to her continuing to make a lasting impression on them this summer.
When she is not lifeguarding at the lake, Broadway can be found in the gym teaching campers some sweet tumbling skills, helping campers fine tune there dramatic side or encouraging campers up and over the Camel’s Hump on the Climbing Wall. She has served as the Tribal Leader for the Waya tribe, teaching and facilitating tribal cheers and songs to campers and staff alike. Additionally, she received the award of “Outstanding Counselor” last summer.
Returning as a cabin counselor this year, Broadway will also most likely serve as the counselor for our girls HERO II Leadership program. This will give her another great opportunity to mentor and minister to our oldest young ladies at camp.
Welcome back Broadway!!
Random facts about Broadway:
- Education: Kennesaw State University, majoring in Theatre and Performance Studies with an emphasis in Musical Theatre
- Favorite Camp Food: Any meal with sweet potato fries and barbecue sauce. Best combination ever. Discovered at camp.
- Favorite Camp Memory: That’s like asking me to pick my favorite ice cream flavor. They’re all so good but in different ways! Fond memories I have are laughing the cabin with my girls, camp outs, sneaking through the woods with a group of kids, cheering at the top of my lungs, a camper telling me something new they did that day, and on and on…
- Favorite Bible Verse: Lamentations 3:22-23
- Something No One Knows About Me: My middle name is Joy because with three girls before me, my dad wanted me to always know that he was still happy to have another girl in the family.
- Most Looking Forward To This Summer: I’m most excited about connecting with new campers and reconnecting with old ones. I’m also excited to get to know the staff I’ll be with all summer. I’m looking forward to playing lots of Multimate!
- Better Than All My Friends At: Doing back walkovers.
- Five Things I Love: I love my Savior. I love my parents. I love all of my siblings, their spouses, and my adorable nephew. I love camp and everything that entails. I really love s’mores.
She may be joining us for her first summer on staff, but Rebekah James is no stranger to the Strong Rock Family. She began spending her summers at camp in 2008 and hasn’t missed a summer since. She will be assisting in several skill classes and helping out in our kitchen as one of our Junior Counselors.
Bekah enjoys playing volleyball and is currently talking to several collegiate coaches about joining their program after graduation. When she is not playing or coaching volleyball, she can usually be found playing her guitar. As a camper, Bekah often blessed us with mini concerts during her time at camp, sharing her gift of music with the entire camp. She loves to write and perform her own songs. We can’t wait to have her on staff with us this summer!
Random facts about Bekah:
- Favorite Camp Meal: Breakfast Pizza
- Hero / Role Model: My father because he showed me the important things in life–country music, westerns, science fiction, the traditions of Texas A&M, to love God and those around you, and to keep moving forward.
- Favorite Color: Grape-Jelly Purple
- Favorite Sport: Volleyball
- Life Goal: To purify water supplies in third world countries.
- Proudest Moment: When a college coach talked to me about playing volleyball for their program.
- Something No One Knows About Me: When I was a little girl, I wanted to be a barrel racer.
- Nonsense and Randomness: I love to write songs and play guitar. I want to attend Texas A&M, the U.S. Naval Academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, or anywhere I can play college volleyball. I love Downton Abbey.